Sunday, 27 July 2014

Hearty Books: Cracked (Soul Eaters #1)

There's one thing I'm sure of: vampires are overdone. So this year with a good library to choose from, I have chosen my books as vampire-free as possible.


This one doesn't have vampires. It has Templars and soul-eating demons. Technically succubi and incubi, but it's easier to say soul-eating demons.


I shall now proceed to copy-paste the official synopsis:

Meet Meda. She eats people.

Well, technically, she eats their soul. But she totally promises to only go for people who deserve it. She’s special. It’s not her fault she enjoys it. She can’t help being a bad guy. Besides, what else can she do? Her mother was killed and it’s not like there are any other “soul-eaters” around to show her how to be different. That is, until the three men in suits show up.

They can do what she can do. They’re like her. Meda might finally have a chance to figure out what she is. The problem? They kind of want to kill her. Before they get the chance Meda is rescued by crusaders, members of an elite group dedicated to wiping out Meda’s kind. This is her chance! Play along with the “good guys” and she’ll finally figure out what, exactly, her ‘kind’ is.

Be careful what you wish for. Playing capture the flag with her mortal enemies, babysitting a teenage boy with a hero complex, and trying to keep one step ahead of a too-clever girl are bad enough. But the Hunger is gaining on her.

The more she learns, the worse it gets. And when Meda uncovers a shocking secret about her mother, her past, and her destiny… she may finally give into it.
The synopsis is of course meant for marketing, so it's not quite as fun as the book itself, but tell me that doesn't sound fun. No, you're lying, it does. The book is funny, clever, I did not see that plot twist coming and I am so glad there wasn't a love triangle because for a moment there I thought there would be. It's written as a first person narrative, from Meda's point of view (by the way, I was quite amused to learn that her full name is Andromeda). It also did this thing (that I'm calling the Hunger Games Thing) where every chapter ends with a sentence that makes you need to know what happens next, so that means you either stop reading in the middle of a chapter or you don't stop reading at all. In any case, I liked it so much I plan on buying a copy of my own so I can reread it as much as I want.


There was only one detail that bugged me: Meda's age. I think this was probably a revision mistake, but the result is that I don't know if Meda's 15 or 17. It doesn't actually affect the plot, but it bugs me. Let's list the evidence. Meda's mother Mary died two years before the start of the story in the book. At one point Meda says something like "I only had my mom for thirteen years." Leading to believe that Mary died when Meda was 13 and she is now 15. But later in the book, I think it was on a recording of Mary, she says something like "Meda is now 15." Since that recording was at the time of her death, Meda would now be 17. So yeah, it's confusing.

There were also the little moments where my mind thought I was reading Shadowhunters instead of Templars. It's superhuman powers and bible bable all over in both cases, so a bit of confusion is understandable (though the similarities end there, so further confusion is unlikely). And although there is at one point a ceremony with fancy schmancy incantation words, it was a smart move to not actually include the words in the book, because that kind of situations often end up as Latin silliness.


I am generally reluctant to start reading series before all of the books are out, and this series is the perfect example of why (tho I do not for a moment regret giving in to it). As of last month, the publishing house that published Cracked and was planning on publishing Crushed (the sequel) simply doesn't exist anymore. Crushed was meant to be released on the 5th of August, but now it's just not going to happen. Author Eliza Crewe says she's looking into publishing it some other way, but that means we'll have to wait more. Unless you're Indian that is, because in there the books are published by Penguin and are going as scheduled, in fact Crushed is already out there. I can only hope the situation is resolved soon and we can have the rest of the series without any more problems.


Also, since I'm on the topic of hoping, I sincerely hope the book(s) get more noticed and get translated to other languages, because right now it isn't, that I know of.

No comments:

Post a Comment