Sunday, 23 October 2016

Hearty Nails Halloween 2016: Painterly candy corn

And so it's here, it has come, it's Halloween time. Last year I had a single blogpost with two Halloween designs, because I was late with it. This year I will be having two posts, but I'm also a bit late, oops. You might think the 23rd isn't all that late, but I really wanted to post this earlier.

Anyway, in last year's post, one of the designs was a revamping of a design I had previously done, twice. This here design follows the same concept of improving a previous design. To be specific, a candy corn design I did in 2013, which you can see here. While I liked it back then, I kept thinking the french edge is too sharp and doesn't really go that well with the gradient below. So I took the gradient aspect, and gave it a twist.



(I did not change the background here, it's my old friend the lighting problem)


It was all done in acrylic paint over a base of white polish, which was Barry M Matt White (honestly I keep being surprised when I read the name despite having had it for years, because it's not matte??? Ok it literally just occurred to me that it might be named after a person, but in that case, why??).

I painted the acrylic right over the white base, starting with the yellow, followed by the orange (which I mixed, because I don't have an orange) and then back with the yellow and back with the orange until they had just the right amount of overlapping. Then I went in with white acrylic paint to soften the top edge of the orange until, again, it was just the right amount of overlapping.

At some point this week there will be another Halloween post up. Hopefully not on the actual 31st, that would mean true last minute.


No comments:

Post a Comment